Saturday, October 8, 2011

You Never Know

This week in class we talked a lot about culture and diversity in families. We ended the week by talking about Mexican American families who are adjusting to a new life here in the United States. As we talked, we discussed and demonstrated the many hardships that come along with this big move to a new country. Aside from the major costs, these families are facing lots of hard times. They moved to open up opportunities for their children, yet in the process each family member has possibly lost their identity, changed roles, or lost all emotional connections. The family struggles to stay close, they work extra in order to support themselves, and some family members may even feel like they are no longer in the family circle.

As we talked about all these things, I realized that often times, I tend to make snap judgments, when really, I shouldn't. I may not have any clue what a family is going through. I can't see their struggles-- their worries, concerns, and financial standing. Yet, what I can see is that they are trying. In most cases these families are very hard working and striving for a better life.

I was glad that I had this realization. I now have an increased understanding of different cultures and families. I understand struggles that they may face. And I have learned to not be so quick to judge, because you never really know...

No comments:

Post a Comment