Monday, October 24, 2011

Marry Your Best Friend

Last week in class we talked about different types of love and different love styles. Brother Williams asked us to rate how important each type of love was. This was hard for me because I really believe that each one is very important. He then asked to think about what should be more consistent in a marriage relationship, a passionate relationship or a companionate relationship. This for me was easier. Companionate.

I want my marriage to be one that is very open. I want my husband to be my best friend and someone that I tell everything to. I want us to respect each other, be completely honest with each other, and have fun together. I think that if this is a priority the passion will come naturally. In the text for the class it says,

"Companionate love . . . does not mean that a relationship has lost its fire. Rather it means that two people have found a firm basis for a lasting relationship. And that relationship is likely to have times of passion as well as times of friendship. In a real sense, the transition to companionate love is not a loss but a gain." 

A companionate relationship is one that lasts through thick and thin. This is the type of relationship that is strongest, in my opinion. My best friends mom has told me before that "even in a marriage, you fall in and out of love." This is why its so important to marry your best friend, because even when there may not be passion, there is still friendship and a mutual understanding. This, to me, is the kind of relationship that lasts for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment